Norman and Tani’s wedding at St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori Parish
photo credits to the owner 

Once you know that you have seen the right church for you, go right ahead and check out the requirements of your church.

The list below is the basic requirement of Catholic Churches but it is best to check if they have additional requirements.

Catholic Church Wedding Requirements:

  1. Marriage license
    • Valid for 3 months (120 days)
    • If you are previously married, you must submit a registered marriage contract (certified true copy) from NSO (National Statistics Office) to be submitted 2 months before the wedding or a Marriage Certificate/Contract from the country where the civil wedding took place
    • Click the marriage license link for more information
  2. Birth Certificate
    • Must be from NSO online or by going to their office
    • Most churches accept birth certificates as long as they are within 6 months from the date of issuance
  3. Baptismal Certificate – proof that you have previously received the sacrament of baptism
    • Valid for 6 months
    • Must be new, acquired 3 months before the wedding
    • Request from the church where you were baptized
    • With annotation “For Marriage Purposes only”
  4. Confirmation Certificate
    • Valid for 6 months
    • Request from the church where you were confirmed
    • If you were confirmed in school, request the school to prepare a letter addressed to the church with the date of your confirmation.
    • Must be with the annotation “For Marriage Purposes only”
    • Submit 3 months before the wedding
  5. Canonical Interview
    • Normally conducted by the priest who will officiate your wedding or his assistant
    • A way for him to get to know you better and personalize his homily
    • Scheduled most of the time during weekdays, 1 to 2 months before the wedding
  6. Certificate of No Marriage
    • Must be from NSO (National Statistics Office) online or by going to their office
  7. Pre-Cana Seminar 
    • In preparation for marriage, the couple is required to attend this seminar. 
    • Approaches to pre-cana vary among Catholic dioceses and parishes. 
    • Often 6 weekly sessions will be led by a priest or deacon with support from a married Catholic couple. 
    • Ask the church regarding the schedule of pre-cana seminar.
    • The couple may attend a seminar from other churches, Discovery Weekend or Catholic Engagement Encounter but kindly check if your nuptial church will accept a certificate of attendance from DW or CE. 
    • A Certificate of Attendance to any of the seminars may be submitted to the church office.
    • Click link for more information on Pre-Cana Seminar
  8. Ecclesiastical (Marriage) Banns and Permit – is a public announcement posted on the church bulletin boards of the couple’s respective parishes
    • Forms/letters are provided by the church where you will get married
    • Submit the name of your parish priest and the address of your parochial church respectively
    • Some parishes will require couples to submit an ID picture
    • Banns are posted in the couple’s parishes for 3 consecutive Sundays at least 1 month before the wedding
    • Parish office will release the letter with notation – no impediments were made and that the wedding can push through
  9. Confession – through this event, the couple will be forgiven of their sins and receive the most out of the sacrament
    • Done weeks or days before the wedding. Please ask the parish office since some would require this two months before the wedding. 
    • Scheduled normally during weekdays 
  10. CeNoMar
    • You can get a copy from the National Statistics Office (NSO) or order online from NSO Help Line or ECensus.
    • If either of the parties is a foreigner, make sure to get a Certificate of Freedom to Marry from your embassy. 
  11. Names of Principal Sponsors (Ninongs and Ninangs)
    • You will need a minimum of two principal sponsors. Ask your parish office if they have limits to the number of principal sponsors that you can have. Some churches fines couples who go beyond a reasonable number of witnesses.
    • Provide a copy of your invitation if available
    • Submitted at least 1 week before the wedding
    • Make sure the names of your Principal Sponsors are their full names, not nicknames since this will be the names to be indicated in your marriage contract.
    • Include their addresses as well

For Wedding Anniversaries:

  • Certified copy of your Catholic Marriage Contract 
  • Interview by the Parish Priest / Assistant Parish Priest

If a Military man:

  • Certification of Free to Marry from higher headquarter / office 

Marriage between Catholic and Non-Catholic:

  • Certificate of freedom to marry from the Non-Catholic Minister or Pastor
  • Filled up Promise for Mixed Marriage Form (done during the interview to be submitted to the Chancery Office for approval)

Guest priest:

  • Kindly provide the church a copy of his license to solemnize marriage at least a month before the wedding. 

Other requirements that the church may ask from you:

  • ID pictures (Check with the church regarding quantity and size)
  • List of songs
  • Permits for photographers, videographers, wedding coordinators, choir or musicians (suppliers might be required to attend a briefing) 

To protect couples from fly-by-night wedding planners or coordinators, some churches prefers to transact / coordinate with the couples themselves or their relatives.
It is important to verify all information with your local civil registrar before proceeding with your wedding plans since requirements often change. 


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *